Drum Castle is near Drumoak in Aberdeenshire and was for centuries the seat of the chief of Clan Irvine. The original 13th century tower was the work of the medieval architect Richard Cementarius and is one of the oldest tower houses in Scotland. A large wing was added in 1619 and further alterations were made during the Victorian era.
The Castle and its grounds were granted to William de Irwyn in 1325 by Robert the Bruce and remained in the same family until 1975, when it was passed onto the National Trust for Scotland. William de Irwyn was armour bearer/secretary to Robert the Bruce. Drum played a role in the Covenating Rebellion leading to it being attacked and sacked three times.
The NTS now open the castle during the summer months and the chapel, dining hall and estate may be hired for weddings and corporate functions. There is also a small shop and tea room within the castle. Drum allows a wonderful glimpse into a bygone era.